Friday, March 11, 2011

Geek Girls of the World, Unite!

How timely! After my last rant about discussion list bores and the gender of Wikipedia, I just found out about a "call-to-arms!" From Geekgirlcon.com

"What: Geek Girls Edit Wikipedia
When: Friday, March 11th - Sunday, March 13th
Who: You, geek girl. Anywhere with an internet connection. GeekGirlCon, Nerds in Babeland, and our friends present Geek Girls Edit Wikipedia, an activity any geek girl with an internet connection can participate in.

For one amazing weekend, we are encouraging geeky women to go on Wikipedia and create and edit articles about our favorite geeky topics.

Women account for only 15% of all Wikipedia contributions, and we want to raise this participation rate. We know many of you have expertise in a wide variety of topics and can contribute valuable information to Wikipedia, which has become the largest and most popular general reference work on the Internet. Wikipedia is the 7th most visited website; and more women's knowledge needs to be added to this resource.

Please join us by adding to this great community knowledge base. You can chat about your contributions or keep a record of what you've edited over on GeekGirlCon's forums: http://www.geekgirlcon.com/forum/"

4 comments:

C. Margery Kempe said...

If you'd have been on Facebook more often, you'd have seen it among my events >_<

By the way, I believe there is a Wiki entry on me and I also believe it needs work (as in deletions).

Sending a little token from Rome to you!

Wendy said...

I refuse to be bullied by FB! They kept sending me e-mails saying how much all my friends miss me. BS! All of you have plenty of people to talk to and about. I prefer to be mysterious....

Okay, fine. I am out of the loop. But there is only so much information one person can absorb.

Welcome back from Rome. I am terribly envious.

C. Margery Kempe said...

I will not add my bullying to FB's bullying :-) but we do miss you! I am slowly getting Rome write ups started, but there is so much to cover! I would envy me -- it was fantastic.

Hey, have you seen Future Boy Conan or whatever the proper title is? My pal Pearce wrote it up and it sounds like fun. Early Miyazaki -- you must know it; I am slow.

Anonymous said...

Well, Wendy, I can certainly see we're
on the same page: I'm a FULL-FLEDGED-
GEEKo. Puh-Ray-Zah Gawwd!!! If you'd
like to VitSee moe, Curly, looky nofu:
☆ nrg2xtc.blogspot.com ☆
GBY