Monday, February 4, 2008

Falling to the Wayside

Poor little blog. So neglected. I had a long, tough week and it took me days to recover. I had to finish an article which was just hell. And then I had long hours at my job(s), including staying late on Thursday to hear a speaker -- Mirta Ojito, author of Finding Manana, a memoir about leaving Cuba in 1980. My colleagues and I had dinner with her beforehand. She was very charming and interesting. I had heard that her father was not well but it didn't show at the time. It really hit her when she finally spoke to the corps. She fought back tears and told them that her father had been rescued by the Coast Guard and it was important for her to be there to talk to the cadets. She had asked her sister to put the phone up to her father's ear in the hospital so he could pass a message to them. His message was of gratitude. I was crying like an idiot and thought that all my students, especially those espousing right-wing, anti-immigrant propaganda, must be likewise moved. If not, they are terrible people.

Okay, will write more soon!

2 comments:

C. Margery Kempe said...

You always tell us such lovely stories that we're willing to wait for a new post. Thanks for sharing that -- a nice way to start the week.

The Queen said...

I hope this week is a better one for you!

And I second Kate's comment...