Thursday, May 8, 2008

Kazoo

I'm sitting in the lobby of Valley I which is where Kate and I are sharing a room and the lobby is the only place I can get internet reception. It would be such a godsend if we could get it in the room. The trip here was pretty uneventful -- some rain as I was driving us in. We took it easy for the most part and had pizza at Bilbo's (mostly because we figured that the medieval hotspot would be intolerable during the other evenings of the conference). Then I worked on editing an article and looked at my paper. I present it in thirty minutes. I'll be glad to get it over with. I wish I had a better attitude toward this conference. I suppose the upside is that in the bare bones dorm room, I am focused on my work.

I didn't sleep well last night because I was probably thinking of all the work I had to do. Then again, I never sleep well in an unfamiliar place. This morning was particularly noisy -- with garbage trucks, people walking outside, and a few birds having territory or mating battle through songs. You would think they would get tired of the same tune? But I heard the same one echoing far and near. I wonder who won?

In other bird news, the swan is nesting by the lake. A swan's nest is pretty spectacular to see although it would have been nice to see the babies. Okay, more on this later. Must look over the paper one more time. No more coffee though or else I will read my paper in five minutes, not twenty.

3 comments:

Elena Steier said...

I hope you let us know how the paper went.

I think the reason you slept poorly is because there wasn't a cat to stare down the bird that sang so loudly in the morning.

C. Margery Kempe said...

Wendy's paper was brilliant as usual. She got a bunch of questions, too, and answered them with aplomb.

Wendy said...

Thanks Kate! I was happy that you could make it. Elena: I think the paper went well. I was very tired and couldn't answer all the questions. However, if a mark of an interesting paper is the number of comments and questions generated, then I'd say I'm pretty happy with the results. I had a couple people come up to me and talk in person. If I had bombed, they would have stayed away :)