Thursday, May 22, 2008

What kind of Crack post was that last one about?

I mean, I talk about Dick Cheney and puppies in the same post? Am I insane??? Anyway, brief summary of events. I got up way too early. Got my tickets and parking pass (yay! I could park on campus!). I pulled up and gave a colleague a heart attack because she thought I thought I was processing and I was unaccounted for (nope, not walking -- just sitting). Then I hung out in my office which thankfully was open (other buildings were closed for security reasons). Going through security was fast and I passed some of my former students who were working the lines (in fact, one nicely pulled up in a golf cart and gave me a ride).

At the football field, I now realized why it was so quick. There was practically no one there! The crowd was very, very small. My plans to hide under a tree on a hill (grassy knoll?) next to the stands was dashed as I thought climbing up there would be conspicuous and weird (and likely to be tackled by Secret Service). But, under the direction of a cadet. I sat in the far end of the stands where there was shade. This was good at first because it was verrry sunny. However, about the time when they were handing out the diplomas and commissions, I was freezing my patootie off. I spotted a friend and moved over to her to sit in the sun. (you know it's cold when I willingly sit in the sun).

So, the Secretary of HS apparently crashed the party (doesn't he have stuff to do?) because he showed up and he wasn't on the program. There was also some Governor there but I didn't recognize the name (and he wasn't on the program either). Cheney entered with cowboy hat (because, as for me, sunlight will harm him). His speech was rather a traditional tribute to the class and not so much on politics. I suppose this was because last time I saw him, it was 2004 and months before the election. I did enjoy his joke that unlike the graduating class, he wouldn't have a job in eight months (oh, let me count the days, minutes, seconds). I really enjoyed the cadet speech though. She spoke well and movingly (and a little politic -- that is, safe). One event was a little different this year. Usually they have an awesome flyover with the CG jet and helicopters which just barrels over the water and over our heads. It's pretty cool. This year, however, they decided for a slow flyby as the cadets through their hats in the air. I bet it made for a pretty cool photo op but I have yet to find one (probably because all the news photographers were between the cadets and the podium so they could get the image of them tossing their hats in the air. The aircraft was over their heads). It was weird to see them seem to float by.

After graduation, I went to the reception which was good because I was STARVING after sitting in the stands for hours. (I realized after the fact that I had some trail mix in my bag, left over from my trip to Michigan -- stupid!).

Got some punch and snackies, not too much sun, nor too much poison and left easily out the front gate.

No comments: